Sunday, November 8, 2015

POT SHOP MEETING

It's funny how the most important things in life
Seem to start out so innocently.
I was working in a legal pot shop
Selling cannabis, even making my own blends.
And he walked in late one night
Just before closing.
It was dark outside, there were no other customers,
And my first feeling was impatience.
I was ready to go home
I had been at the shop from early that morning.
Had served a lot of customers, made a lot of batter,
Did a lot of business with brand dealers on the phone.
It was time to pick up Anne Sexton
And sink down into sweet melancholia in a hot bubble bath.
I didn't even notice his face at first,
Although I smiled and spoke my usual greeting.
But when I looked up and into those eyes,
A memory of a lifetime flashed through my mind.
We hadn't been together long,
It had started on fire with no where to burn,
And once it destroyed everything in it's path,
                                 It was over.
He was smiling at me, almost shyly,
And I smiled back although I was studying that face,
     those lips, those eyes.
He was older, of course,
There were some grays, a few wrinkles near his eyes
But they were the same sky blue.
And his lips, that beautiful mouth
Had that same old smile,
And I just knew he kissed the same way;
He had a samurai tongue.
I grinned, we still hadn't said a word
Staring at each other, taking each other in.
He was beautiful enough to be cruel
But man enough to be kind.
And he had the heart of a lion.
I had adored him, had worshiped him.
But I was never sure if I loved him or not.
Although I knew he loved me madly.
He put his hand on the counter,
And after a heartbeat, I laid mine on top of his.
It was like a surrender of sorts.
His fingers intertwined with mine,
And our eyes met again, still not one word.
It began to rain
And I felt my soul begin to rise
To meet his, dancing in those drops.
We never even said hello.
But I saw my future, or at least part of it

Laid right out before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment