Friday, March 7, 2014

ME AND JONI

Joni Mitchell gave the women of the world a voice
She empowered them
Let them cry and helped them dance
And for generations on
She's still the queen
But me and Joni
We just never clicked
I bought her albums in the 70s
And pretended to get behind
Those words of wisdom
As my girlfriends went totally fangirl for her
I bought her songbook before the internet
Trying to find what I was missing
And everyone else seemed to have found
I wanted her so badly
But it was unrequited love for both
Sigh
The women of my generation still talk
About what she gave them
And my daughter plays her music
Goes on and on about how important she was
I know, I know ... I was there
But Bob Dylan spoke to me
And Joni never even whispered
Oh Joni
Why can't we be together?

No comments:

Post a Comment