Friday, March 14, 2014

YOU SAW ME FIRST

You saw me first before I even knew
What was just beneath the surface
Of that girl in her fifteenth summer
It was Key West in the 70s
You were my cousin's best friend
But I just remember the Full Moon Saloon
A hurricane candle lighting a cigarette
And the bluest eyes I had ever seen
Eyes that were seeing me first
Everyone watched you
You were so damn good looking
Even my mother said so
A total free spirit, long blond hair
And those eyes, those sexy damn eyes
That were seeing me first
You were older by a decade
And got a kick out of my crush
I tried so desperately to hide
As you awakened more and more feelings
Without ever touching me
As my Daddy circled us like a hawk with a hunting rifle
Because he could see us both.
But there was attention paid
And long conversations
And dances to rock and roll
And stares and smiles
And my very first serious kiss
All with a grin on your face.
I fell hard for you that summer
And getting on the plane to go home
Was like having something torn away and yet something replaced
And all my friends said how I had changed
When I got back to Pittsburgh.
You had awakened the woman in the girl
And I still find myself grinning remembering you
And the hurricane candle and the bluest damn eyes.
I'm so glad you saw me first

No comments:

Post a Comment