Friday, March 21, 2014

WORSHIP


We got off the plane and the first thing I notice
Is the heat of the island that wraps around me
Invading my privacy, determind to make itself known
The way it always seems to welcome me back.
Hours later, I sat on the porch drinking a cold beer
And smile as his jeep pulls in, kicking up dirt and dust
He carries in the cooler and I watch the muscles in his back tense
Feeling like a pervert for my very own guy
I grin and he caught me as he turned
And pulled me into his arms
Demanding to know what put that salacious smile onto my lips
I refused to speak, playing shy, and looked down
He laughed, knowing shyness was not part of my make-up
And let me go
Putting lobster and crab legs into the 'fridge.
He sat down and finished my beer, his eyes on mine
Lips just made for kissing and whispering
Cheek bones that could cut glass when he smiles
Gentle crows feet surround his eyes, he's a man not a boy
I grab us two more beers, but before I sit down
I take his hand in mine, it's strong, calloused, masculine
He squeezes my fingers, plays with my wedding bands
We're worshipping each other like bats
Our eyes meet again, and there's a fire burning all of our own
I smile at him
A smile that men have understood since Eve first gave it to Adam
That night on the beach, in front of a fire we had built
We hold each other close after a midnight swim.
He is my floor.
I had had the floor of safety ripped out from under me
At age twenty-one when my Daddy died
And although I was married, I never felt safe again
Until I met this man who rebuilt that floor
Board by board, nail by nail
Until I could stand, knowing he always had my back
And I didn't have to do it alone anymore
I'll be sad to leave the island for home
But we'll take the floor with us
The love, the lust
The safety in our marriage
That follows us wherever we go

No comments:

Post a Comment